Thursday, September 30, 2010

Projection

I met a teenage hero the other day! He’s “the man of the house,” but he’s only thirteen years old. His assurance in God and his natural-born leadership was inspirational to my faith-walk. During our prayer circle at the boy’s house, one of our short-term volunteers was so moved by his story that he couldn’t stop crying.

Earlier, when we had arrived in our Project Prevention truck, I took in the surroundings of our final stop of the day. Since I had never been there, I looked up and down the street in search of the house we were scheduled to visit. I only saw storefronts – something like China Town in NYC. To my right were a hair salon and an unmarked building. I saw this young boy, who seemed out of place, standing in front of the unmarked building. I wondered where his mother was.

One of the Project Prevention volunteers, Becky, called out to him to say, “hello.” So I assumed this young boy was picking up food for his family and from there, would walk to his house. However, I found myself following the boy and our Brazilian short-term mission group up some stairs in the unmarked building.

At the top of the stairs, a picture of Jesus bleeding and sorrowful, wearing a crown of thorns, greeted us. The words of my pastor from back in Ohio came to mind, “Humility: meek not weak.” The picture was a perfect transition to enter the home of this young boy because his home was a very humbling scene. His house seemed to be a decent place for a bachelor (yet too small for his family) with a couple of rooms attached to the living space of which ten of us piled into.

The boy explained to us that his mother works very hard just to keep the lights on and her children comfortable so that’s why she’s asleep in the middle of the day. I was amazed by her sacrifice but was also impressed at her son’s gratefulness for her sacrifice. I could tell that there was something special about him.

He and his family were previously living in a rough L.A. area called “Temple Street.” In that area is a gang, which is known to be very violent and dangerous. After our visit, I became more spiritually alert desiring to be apart of finding other “diamonds in the rough” like this boy. Diamonds that I could encourage and point to Christ. This way their gifts may have room to grow in God’s garden.

Sometimes I wonder how many children/people – like this boy – with such great potential “slip through the cracks.” At the same time, I find peace that God would plant jewels like this boy in such rough areas. Such areas need God’s little rays of hope. In time, I could see this particular boy being a local political figure in rough areas like where he grew up. I picture him fighting to clean up the streets and starting programs to help kids reach their full potential just as he was helped. I cringe at the thought of the kids we miss. Finding them could mean fewer victims of heinous crimes.

One of my greatest concerns for myself and other young people is the “potential for lack of potential.” We have what it takes, but if we don’t meet the One who can take us to the next level, then our potential will come to nothing. I love how God uses The Dream Center to encourage young people to lead and find out whom God says that we are, not falling into the limitations of the Devil. There’s something right about giving back to God all that He’s given us in sincere surrender. Surrendering like a child – like the little hero I met the other day – is to say, “Please use me Lord because I don’t know what to do on my own.” I know my life is better for surrendering to God. I believe this teen boy’s life will continue to get better because he’s given his life to Christ. And I’m sure your life will be better because you’ve surrendered too.

-LaQuesha

No comments: