Thursday, October 7, 2010

Risks Can Be Rewarding

For those of you thinking about getting involved in daily ministry at The Dream Center, which we need, here are some observations I’ve made just a couple months into my One Year Internship:

  1. It’s Not Easy. I heard those three words numerous times before I moved and it’s true. (Now don’t let this be the only thing you remember from this post. I will explain, so please keep reading.) Pastors, friends, and family all told me how full-time ministry can wear a person down. Although true, they almost all left out my next point…

  1. I Haven’t Had a Bad Day. Now how can my first two points coincide? Although I may not have all the home cooking, material things, or money I would like, I have never felt this fulfilled in my entire life. The sense of purpose I sense every moment is more than I can put into words.

  1. It’s Not What I Expected…and for that I am grateful. When others heard that I would be quitting my job and moving across the country to volunteer, they couldn’t understand why I was giving up financial security and the familiarities of home to volunteer. After a while, I naturally began to think about the things I would be missing. However, I have learned and received much more than what I gave up.

The list and examples could go on, but I want to be brief. What I want you to know is – don’t let trivial thoughts and fears keep you from a great, life-changing experience. Whether it’s coming to The Dream Center or doing something at home, taking a risk can take away regrets.

No comments: