Thursday, December 9, 2010

New Chapter

I came to The Los Angeles Dream Center several weeks ago to be a part of The Movement - a discipleship program for young adults. The Movement is an alternative to Bible college or university where young people can come to The Dream Center for ten months to serve the local church and pastor, and most importantly, be discipled. In the short amount of time that I have spent in the program God has not delayed in shaping me and my peers to be world changers. Within this group of young adults there is a deep and passionate fire burning within our hearts to become the men and women of God that this world so desperately needs to see, and to take a stand to be in the world, but not of it. I know that if my peers and I do not stay complacent in our faith and in our relationship with Christ, we will be very powerful and do a lot of work for the Kingdom.

Personally, I have gone through a lot of ups-and-downs since I moved here. Just within the last week there have been a lot of things going on back home with my friends and family. I have felt very discouraged and, more than anything, guilty for not being there for the people that needed me. However, God has a way of working things out for His glory and, slowly but surely, God is healing the pain, sickness and heartache that I felt was weighing me down so heavily. During Pastor Matthew’s recent sermon, God gave me this word from James that really lifted my spirit and has encouraged me to continue seeking after Him. James 1:2 says, "Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of faith develops perseverance."

I know that in hard times, when I feel like the world is collapsing in on me, all I need to do is seek Him and have faith that God is holding my life and my world in His hands. I am so grateful that God has brought me to this place because it is a great environment for young people, like myself, to be able to focus on my relationship with God, be discipled and mentored by amazing leadership, seek direction for my future, and be Christ’s hands and feet!


- Becka

No comments: