Thursday, December 16, 2010

Before and (Thankfully) After

Working and living at The Dream Center is a great experience. Being a part of helping so many individuals and families is an honor and blessing. Whether it be a Dream Center Discipleship testimony at church, a child rescued from sex trafficking, or a homeless family getting free room and board on campus, miracles are happening all around me everyday. It is amazing.

As great as these stories are, after a while I found myself growing numb to the testimonies of restoration and grace. It was something that became commonplace due to the hard work of those around me. In church, I thought of the testimonies as another part of the service and the families as a few more people that live on campus. There is so much more to each story.

I did not realize my attitude until a few weeks ago. One Friday afternoon, I went out with The Dream Center Food Truck, which passes out free groceries to people who need it to survive. A few minutes into our afternoon at MacArthur Park, near Downtown Los Angeles, I met Jorge and Laura. These loving parents of two stopped to see why a group of people had gathered in the park. After explaining what we were here to do, they were speechless.

Jorge began telling me he recently lost his job, and his family was struggling to survive. When he and his wife heard that they could receive free groceries that afternoon, it was as if I told him he had won the lottery. I could not imagine the pain these two felt not knowing where they will get their next meal. After I told them about The Dream Center and the additional support we could provide, they received their bags of food and thanked us multiple times.

During my conversation with the family, I couldn’t help but sense their desperation and need. After a family comes to The Dream Center, we are able to provide a home and hope – that is the part of the story I have grown accustomed to seeing. The “before” stage, such as Jorge and Laura, was heart breaking.

Upon my return to The Dream Center, I saw everyone in our various programs in a new light. Whether it was a few months, weeks, or even days earlier, these individuals were at the same brink of desperation. Now, thanks to God’s provision, these individuals and families once again had hope.

That average Friday afternoon became a wake-up call to change my attitude. It also served as a boost to my desire to reach more like Jorge and Laura. Although the couple I met lived in LA, there are many in your area who need help. Pray that God will open your eyes to serve someone in need near you.


- Jesse

No comments: