Thursday, December 2, 2010

"For the Least"

It’s always a privilege to pray with the least of these – the homeless and needy. I always find it so interesting how the needy surprise me through conversation because when I talk to them, they don't seem like a "least" or even a stranger. Actually, I feel like we're equal and one is not greater than the other. The needy feel like family to me.

Let me introduce myself, I'm a one-year intern here at The Dream Center and I've been here more than half my assigned time. Right before I got here from Ohio, I had a nice little Honda Civic. I miss cruising in that car – or a car at all. I sold my car when I moved to The Dream Center in hopes of buying another car in L.A. – I'm still working on it.

When I had my car, I used to pull up next to a "least of these" at a stop light quite often. Occasionally I'd give them some money or food but a lot of times I'd just pray for them under my breath. Still, I'd feel like I missed a great opportunity to be an extended hand of Christ Jesus, even when I gave them something, because even non-Christians give to the needy. I don't like leaving not knowing if they understand that I did what I did in Jesus' name.

Feeling empty back in Ohio made me aware of a void I had in my heart for outreach ministry. Thank God for the Under the Bridge (UTB) outreach and others like it, here at The Dream Center. Just recently I went out with UTB to McArthur Park where we brought a warm meal to the parks "residents". .

It's very rewarding to minister face-to-face, hand-in-hand with the needy – or least of these. Speaking of "hand-in-hand", I like healthy personal hygiene; more specifically, hand-washing. There's nothing like clean hands that make up a good handshake. Funny thing is, God encourages me that in being a hand extended for Christ, I have to touch those no one else wants to – no matter how unclean their hands may be.

I often recall a story of a leper in Mark 1:40-43 whom Jesus reached out and touched to heal. At this time, he leper is considered ceremonially unclean in the Old Testament and people wouldn't want the leper in their town let alone would they want to touch them. However, Christ touched the ones that no one else wanted to and they were healed because of it. Since my desire is to be a hand extended of Christ, I should be willing to touch those with unwashed hands.

When I was in my car, I never got up-close-and-personal with the "least" like I get to do here. Now I get to dispel the untruth that Christians believe they are better than the ones we are helping. Pure affection expressed in a handshake or hug is a big part of how we as Christians can show that we really care. Touch their hands and let the "least" title fall away. Hold their hands and pray for them and let them know that they are not too dirty to be loved by God – or a Christian.


- LaQuesha

No comments: