Thursday, October 28, 2010

Charlotte's Angels Debut Fashion Show

I found out about Charlotte’s designs by accident, the day I saw a few images of her accessory line on a co-worker’s computer desktop. I was so impressed by the quality of the designs that I inquired who was the creative mind behind these beautiful pieces.

Charlotte, I later learned, lived on The Dream Center’s family floor with her husband and son. They had been accepted into the transitional housing program a few weeks after she and her husband had both lost their jobs and had become homeless. Charlotte was asked during the time that she was interviewed by the staff on the family floor what her future dreams were, and she opened up to them about her passion for fashion design.

Around the time that we first met Charlotte I asked if I could help her with her debut fashion show. Initially, I thought I would be calling a few people on her behalf and setting up some of her social networks for her. Little did I know that within a few short weeks I would be roped into being the event organizer - something I never thought I would do. I would soon learn that saying “no” to Charlotte is almost impossible!

Over the next five months we planned and prepared for Charlotte’s debut fashion event. Charlotte was running around to get her collection completed, I was e-mailing the ever- growing mailing list and figuring out the timing of music and lights, while others were busy making calls to secure models, stylists and hairdressers for the event. The fashion show was now scheduled to take place on Oct 15th at Angelus Temple.

The week of the event was hectic. One day we had ten models ready to come to the rehearsal, the next day we found out, to our dismay, that five had either dropped out or were not the right stature for a runway model. There was a lot of prayer and a lot of last minute changes that had to take place, but somehow Charlotte was able to pull off an amazing show, which wowed her audience. It was great to see how God enabled her dreams to come true, while she and her family are being supported by The Dream Center.

- Chaka


For more information on the clothing line, please check out Charlotte's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CharlottesAngels/140768942626875

No comments: