Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wake up sleepy head…

There aren’t many things that I would get out of bed on a Saturday morning for. I could drink all the coffee in the world and I would still be annoyed by having to get up from my cozy, warm bed. Adopt-A-Block is one of the few reasons I get up for. I have been going to serve the community of Pueblos, with Alfred and his team of volunteers for a month now. It’s a really great feeling when you start to have a connection with a community that you never even knew existed before! I was pretty surprised when I realized that Pueblos was located in south central L.A., which is infamous worldwide for its gang violence and poverty.

I’m glad that stereotypes that I would have had, didn’t have the chance to consume my thoughts before I got the chance to come out to Pueblos. Otherwise I wouldn’t have gotten the chance to meet the people here and seen the impact that Dream Center is having there by meeting the needs of this community. It’s been great to meet people like Christina who every week supplies us with free ice cold water after we have finished giving out food and baby supplies to her and members of her community, who have lined up all morning for us to bring them their provisions.

It’s the first place that I reached out to a woman named Stephanie and was asked to pray with her for her family. I like the fact that now my Saturday mornings are serving a purpose that is far more rewarding than just getting an extra hour in bed.

-Chaka

No comments: