Wednesday, October 1, 2008

First Impressions VS Lasting Impressions


I had always loved inner city-on-the-streets-being-in-danger type mission work, so when I came to the Dream Center and was placed in the marketing department I was a bit baffled at what God was doing. At home, I taught at an alternative school that was filled with kids who didn’t fit the regular public school mold. Many of them were involved in gangs and drugs. Working with them was a huge passion in my life. Going from that to being placed in an 8-5 office job was a bit of a transition.

I spent a lot of time in prayer when I first got here. I didn’t understand God’s purpose. I went from gangs and drugs to being the red carpet check in person at an event we had my first working week! Of course, God revealed many things to me within time.

God reminded me that it was always my desire to learn more about ministries and possibly start my own one day. It occurred to me that I knew nothing of the business side of a ministry. I had always been in the streets, in places like Haiti, Jamaica, and Romania; but I knew nothing about raising support or marketing the ministry. Since I’ve been here, I’ve realized how important the marketing department is. Without the marketing department, we can’t do most of what we’re able to do at the Dream Center! We get the word out; we raise support. I feel like I’ve been attending college because I’m ingesting a surplus of valuable knowledge.

Last week I went out with the food truck. I saw the pain and hurt in some of their eyes; especially the families that came through. But then I also saw the glimmer of hope they received as their physical needs were being met by receiving free food and love from us. If we can take care of that burden in their lives, it frees them up to focus on working on bettering other areas of their lives. We can be “Jesus with skin on” and that beacon of light in the darkness; which is what all of us, as Christians, are called to do.

I’ve grown to deeply value and love my position at the Dream Center. Not only do I get to experience the marketing side but also publicity and public relations. Publicity is a field I never desired to work in but now I’ve come to welcome and love it!
I no longer question why God placed me in this department, but I feel blessed that I get the best of both worlds. I get to do my office work, but then I can go out on outreaches and see the effect of what we do. I can see the process as a whole. It’s important that we properly market the vision, receive support, and then go out and pour into the lives of others and restore their dreams and give them hope!

Carrie Miller

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful Tesitmony and May God continue to bless your beautiful soul with all the joy in the world. We need more people like you :)

God bless & Heaps of Love

Little Flo from Auckland, New Zealand