Thursday, July 29, 2010

Under The Bridge


Under the Bridge is a ministry that not only serves the physical needs of the homeless on Skid Row but also the spiritual and emotional needs. After four times of serving food with Under the Bridge, I finally pushed myself out of my comfort zone. Every time the director asks who would like to work in the food line, I eagerly, and quite obnoxiously, wave my hand around so I can get away with just serving food and not actually talking to people.  I felt safe and comfortable behind the table. I have not had the confidence to talk to people and hear their stories.  So this Wednesday, with much encouragement from my fellow volunteers, I decided to push myself out of what I am comfortable with and agreed to interact with those we were feeding. Immediately after I agreed, I couldn’t believe it, I kept asking myself why in the world had I agreed to start conversations. 

         The previous day I felt like I kept getting hit with little things that kept bringing me down and kept me dwelling in sadness rather than joy. So I had been looking forward to the comfort and familiarity of the serving table and only having to give a smile rather than a word of hope to the homeless. But God does not want you to become comfortable; comfort leads to complacency. God cannot use those who are complacent and comfortable.   As Christians, we should strive to be Christ-like in everything we do, so we should always be growing and pushing ourselves to be Christ-like.  So, armed with a tract rather than a spoon, I came from behind the barrier in which I had found such comfort in the previous times, and paired with another volunteer named Carrie, we walked around talking to the residents of Skid Row.
        
         The first couple of people we talked to were not very friendly, but then we came across a resident named Deborah. She was reserved at first, but then later told us it was because she wanted to see how we would react to her demeanor.  We started talking about anything, and then started to get into the Scriptures. In talking to her, we found out that her church picks her up and brings her to church, and she is a backup Sunday School teacher. She did not go into great detail about how she got there, in a state of poverty and homelessness, but it was interesting to see her say that she got there by her own choices and means. She knows that God will use this time of her life to reach a group of people that I cannot, because she will have a story to which they can relate. It was refreshing to see someone who was so planted in God yet is living in that circumstance.

         We also talked to a man named Thomas, who was a truck driver, but has not been able to find work recently. We asked him about how he ended up there, and he said that that was just a pit stop until he gets back on his feet. We then asked what his plans are now, and he said that he feels that God has called him to ministry to be a pastor.  Like Deborah, he knows that he can use this part of his life to reach those who I cannot, and God is in control of his life. He will be able to reach those on Skid Row as well as people in the same circumstances and elsewhere. His story and journey is more relatable then mine.

                  It seemed that I had no reason to be nervous because God brought those people so that I can see that He is in control, and no matter how nervous I am with something out of my comfort zone, H e will always be there with me. So yes, I don’t enjoy pushing my boundaries and coming out of my comfort zone, but I know that God does it for a reason. Not only does He do this when I go on outreaches, but also with my work at the Dream Center. Before I came, I did not like praying out loud; I was just not confident in my prayers, and part of my job at the Dream Center is praying for people on the phone. When I first started I was almost in tears, because I did not want to do it. I was so nervous, but again He would put people on the other side of the phone line that knew exactly how to encourage me. I know that He is always stretching me so that I am more prepared for what life will throw at me and so that in any situation, I am able to keep the faith and do God’s will. 

~Tessa

No comments: