Thursday, July 15, 2010

"Because You say so, I will"

Looking back on my first month as an intern at The LA Dream Center I realize how much God has directed my life to this point. A couple of months ago I was living close to family and friends in the Midwest and had a great job, but I felt I was missing out on something.  Ever since my first visit to The Dream Center I felt a strong desire to come back and serve full-time. After graduating from college two years ago and working in the field I studied, I still did not feel like I was where I needed to be.

 

In the fall of 2009 I finally decided to follow the dream I had years ago, and I applied to become a one-year intern.  During that summer, I was reading Luke 5:5 where Jesus told Simon to lower the nets after a long night of fishing with nothing to show for it. Simon, probably frustrated and ready to quit, responded so simply, “Because You say so, I will.” Like Simon, moving to LA was not an easy decision or made the most sense, but I do not regret listening to the voice of God.

 

We often hear God is always with you and has a plan for your life, but it’s another thing to experience it yourself. Once I arrived at The Dream Center, I learned that I would be working in the Marketing Department, which is what I studied in college. Also, upon arrival I learned that a friend from college was coming to volunteer, and we have since become roommates.  After seeing these two works of God within my first month here, I am excited to see what is coming up in my future.

 

If you are thinking about coming out to The Dream Center to volunteer, I would recommend that you first—pray. You need to talk with God so you can hear what His plan is for you. In Proverbs 16:9 it states, “the Lord determines our steps;” we need to let Him. Secondly, don’t be afraid to take a risk. A piece of advice I received in college is, “If you are given an opportunity, say ‘yes,’ and learn as fast as you can.” This is something I try to put into practice in my life.

 

If God has put a desire on your heart, pray about it and don’t be afraid to take a risk. When facing a big decision remember that God has watched over your life through today, don't think He will stop now.

 

- Jesse

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post took the words right out of my mouth. I'm so excited to hopefully become an intern at the beginning of the year!