Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Bus Ride to Nickerson Gardens

The beginning of the next year of my life officially started on the 23rd of July; the day I officially moved into The Dream Center. That was almost two weeks ago, which means I have finally passed my first milestone. I have been at The Dream Center longer than any of the teams from short-term missions. Granted, it is not a huge milestone, but it is a milestone nonetheless. I cannot tell you that this is my first experience with The Dream Center because I have been apart of this place for 10 years, but what I can tell you is this continues to be a place like no other. Outreaches like the bus ministry are clear examples of how The Dream Center continues to separate itself from anything else.

The first Sunday I was here I was fortunate enough to ride on one of these buses that actually goes into troubled neighborhoods to bring people from the area to church. The “site” I was assigned to was Nickerson Gardens; a relatively large housing project in Watts. To be completely honest almost the entire ride over there I was apprehensive about what I would say and how to avoid looking like a complete fool in front of these kids. I finally came to the conclusion that it isn’t about me at all, but about leading people to God. I decided to give all my petty worries to God and allow him to show me how to simply love on people. It was the best decision I could have made.

The bus was slowly making its way through the neighborhood when I saw a homeless man on the side of the road. As I waived to him I saw an expression of pure joy come over his face as he happily smiled and waived back. Thus revealing a smile that was missing the front two teeth. It was a smile that proudly displayed more tongue than actual teeth. I couldn’t help, but laugh and continue to wave back. During this random exchange of pleasantries I was hit with an urge help this man in whatever way possible. An urge to see this man succeed, but most of all I felt genuine compassion for a man I have never met. It truly was and is an indescribable feeling.

The goal of The Dream Center has always been to change the atmosphere of the community through love and I thank God so much for giving me just a small glimpse of what it means to love people.

- Nic

No comments: