Thursday, June 10, 2010

Use Your Gifts

I just wrapped up the first week of my one-year internship here at The L.A. Dream Center. After coming on a weeklong short-term mission trip three years ago, I finally made the journey out West for an extended stay. It was during my first trip when I saw Skid Row that my entire outlook on life changed. I could not forget the images of hundreds of men and women sleeping on filthy sidewalks within the shadows of the luxurious downtown skyline. 


After a three-year break, I returned to Skid Row to serve lunch to dozens of those in need. It was a privilege to serve with a global team made up of volunteers from across the world: Brazil, England, Finland and Germany. I was amazed that, although not everyone on our team spoke perfect English, the homeless clearly understood the joy in our hearts and the compassion we had for them. I saw first-hand that Jesus’ love is not bound by borders, ethnicity or language; it can be shown simply with a smile.


Today my attitude has once again been challenged after seeing someone, who has absolutely nothing, be so thankful. I cannot stop asking, “Why is that not me? What have I done to deserve the life that I have?” I did not earn my loving parents and the upbringing they gave me, my talents and abilities, and most importantly—God’s forgiveness. I could have just as easily been born into a life of poverty and hopelessness not knowing where I will eat and sleep the next day. With all God has given me, why do I focus on what I do not have rather than all He has blessed me with?


No matter who you are, you have been given different opportunities in life. As found in the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25, God gives us all a unique gift, and it is our responsibility to use what we have been given. Although we all have something different to offer, we all do have something to offer! Others may have gifts that you do not, but that is not an excuse to be inactive. We are to be thankful and use our God-given strengths to edify each other and the Body of Christ.


You do not need to be on a missions trip in Los Angeles to use your talents and abilities for God. You can be a servant in an office in the Midwest or in a classroom on the East Coast. Wherever you are, God has blessed you with skills to bring Him glory and honor. We need to make sure we are responsible “with a few things,” as simple as a smile, that we have been given. 


- Jesse

No comments: