Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Adopt-A-Jesus

The lights came up slowly, revealing the few hundred faces present to view Brandt Russo’s documentary, “Adopt-A-Jesus”. This incredible 90 minute video follows Brandt Russo as he travels through the southern United States in his used cooking oil bus listening to the stories of the homeless. As he heard about the issues, Brandt looked into a few Churches’ efforts along the way to see how the Church approaches this unique community.

I cannot fully describe my feelings as I sat there watching this documentary. Dozens of Church goers simply passed the shaggy dressed Brandt by as he made the simple statement, “There are three thousand Jesuses sleeping in the streets of Houston.” Brandt takes this view from Matthew 25:34-40 (NIV):

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Brandt’s simple view of Matthew 25 is a challenging call to the American Church. The poor, the needy, the hungry, and yes even the homeless. They are all Jesuses that need help here on earth.

Brandt took a year prior to this experience and lived homeless. As he stood outside a large church with a simple cardboard sign reading “Adopt-A-Jesus” with pictures of homeless people in the community, Brandt stated, “Anyone want to adopt a Jesus? He got all rained on last night. His clothes are all mildew. Jesus is under the bridge. We have a picture of him if you can’t recognize him. Would you change your mind if I told you he hasn’t eaten in days?”

This challenging film reminded me of a time of a missed opportunity in my own life. It was a sunny afternoon in downtown Colorado, with snow on the ground from the storm the night before. A woman with three small children was asking people for money for a hotel room for a single night until her mother wired money for bus tickets. My friends and I talked with her and heard her story as she shared how her husband was in jail, recently leaving her with the children and no job. As we talked we wanted to help, but none of us were willing to pay out of our pockets right then.

We asked her to come back later while we checked to see if there were any organizations that would help her. As we checked around, there was nowhere that would take children. As we waited and waited, the woman never came back and I realized that because of my reluctance in listening to the Holy Spirit and immediately sacrificing my money, this woman most likely did not have somewhere to sleep through the cold, winter night.

This film not only brought back the memory of that missed opportunity to help Jesus, but it also challenged me to change my actions next time. I have always felt that the people who clutter the streets of America’s cities are there because of their own bad choices and mistakes. Why should I give them help when it’s their own fault they are in these circumstances?

However, now looking back, was I not brought out of my past, out of my sin and mistakes? I was paid for in blood and was extended the grace of a Son. Should I not in turn extend such grace to those around me?

Check out www.adoptajesus.com. Maybe you’ll get something out of it like I did.

-Joel

No comments: